Feb 7, 2012

Pineapple Banana Frappe

I hate breakfast. This statement actually has two parts. Firstly, the last thing I want to do first thing in the morning is eat something, especially something heavy and overly sweet. If I am going to have something, it's likely coffee or tea and, more often than not, something savory. Yes, I admit it; nine times out of ten, my cravings are more salty than sweet. Full confession -- I often have leftover soup or pasta while the vegetarian has his cheerios.

For a while, though, when I was working early mornings at a travel agency and needed some energy before leaving the house, I got into the smoothie craze. The problem, however, was that I didn't have the time or desire to make the smoothies in the morning. That and I'm really not hungry until I've been awake for at least an hour.

But I do like smoothies and, in a constant effort to sneak more fruit into our diets, I created this frappe for dessert the other night. Why is it a frappe and not a smoothie? Because I added some passion fruit sorbet. This also makes it dessert rather than breakfast in my book (although the vegetarian declared it more tart than sweet for anyone other than me and, possibly, my mom).

You can play around with the fruits you include but I do strongly urge you to add banana (even if, like the vegetarian, you don't like it very much). The pineapple, passion fruit and lemon juice cover up the taste so the banana is really just responsible for a delightful creaminess. And, if you are in the mood for breakfast, serve with Baked Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole, as I did. Bon appetit!

Pineapple Banana Frappe
adapted from Ziplist

  • 1 banana, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 pinch vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup sliced pineapple
  • 1/2 pint passionfruit sorbet
Combine all ingredients in a sturdy cup. Blend, with an immersion blender, until fairly smooth. Enjoy!

Links to other banana delicacies:

No comments:

Post a Comment