Feb 17, 2012

Cherry Vanilla Smoothie

Everyone has a favorite taste memory and mine is Haagen-Dazs Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream. This was also my grandfather's favorite ice cream. He had a real sweet tooth and would often pick up all kinds of delicacies from the local bakery which (aside from rainbow cookies) I would decline, much to his chagrin. But whenever there was cherry vanilla ice cream in the freezer, I always had room for dessert. It's been about fifteen years now since I lost my grandfather but, whenever I'm feeling low and in need of comfort, I still always turn to cherry vanilla ice cream.

Lately, though, I haven't been able to find it at Fairway. (Has anyone else found this? Please tell me they haven't discontinued it!) And I do know that ice cream is not the best way to sneak more fruits into our diet. So I used this flavor combination as a jumping-off point and created a smoothie instead, using real frozen cherries and vanilla frozen yogurt, as well as some cinnamon, apple juice, applesauce and maple syrup (Grade B, so you really get the maple flavor). I also discovered a forgotten bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer, so those went in as well. And I snuck in some wheat bran and peanut butter for added health benefits and to thicken the mixture. (Even the vegetarian admitted their tastes weren't discernible.) This was a sweet smoothie -- more suited to dessert than breakfast in my opinion -- but it's was really delicious. The only thing to watch out for is that mine was a bit chunky; all those tiny blueberries somehow managed to escape the blender's blades. Enjoy with (or after) Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers. Bon appetit!



Cherry Vanilla Smoothie
inspired by Smoothie Web

Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Serve immediately.

Links to other cinnamon delicacies:

No comments:

Post a Comment