Aug 25, 2014

Portobello Eggplant Sandwich


With the vegetarian and/or me working virtually every night this month, my mission has been to find quick, easy and satisfying dinners that will neither require too much prep nor leaving us feeling so full afterwards that we can't go to sleep at a reasonable hour. Last night, that led me down the path of sandwiches. With so much wonderful produce from the greenmarket, I've definitely been on a vegetable kick and I started thinking about grills and, not for the first time, wishing we had one. And what are my three favorite vegetables to cook on a grill? Portobello mushrooms, onions and eggplant. Even though I don't often eat eggplant these days, when I find it fresh and local and organic at the greenmarket, I make an exception.

Alas, we have no grill. But, if you can stand heating up the apartment for fifteen minutes, mushrooms, onions and eggplant are just as (if not more) delicious roasted. And, bonus, you don't have to worry about the bits of onion falling through the cracks of the grill!

I wanted to elevate these from a "typical" sandwich so, while the veggies were roasting, I whipped up a quick tahini spread with fresh basil (better and more nutritious than a more traditional mayonnaise or, worse, ketchup). We also served these with some big arugula leaves on sprouted sesame bread and had a salad on the side. Bon appetit!



 Portobello Eggplant Sandwich

Sandwich

Spread
Preheat oven to 375. Arrange mushrooms, onion and eggplant on a foil-covered baking sheet (or two). Roast 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the spread by blending together all ingredients in a food processor until creamy.

When vegetables are cooked, remove from oven and let cool slightly. Toast bread. Generously spread spread onto half of bread slices and top with 1-2 leaves arugula, 1 mushroom, some red onion and 1 slice eggplant. Cover with second slice of bread. Enjoy!

Links:

8 comments:

  1. Hi I like your blog and wanted to invite you to join www.recipebyday.com a directory of recipes where you just have to register your blog and appear links to your recipes for you to increase your visits. Regards and Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is very helpful for me who are learning to cook. Thanks.

    Regards,
    Obat Disfungsi Ereksi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your recipe. Even though its a bit old post still its good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If so, then there is no need to worry anymore because in this article we will explain how to opt for a dissertation service that will guarantee your degree.healthstopwatch.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing guide.I love your blog which have great information.My passion is reading and searching. Metal Detector

    ReplyDelete